About the ENEC Mark
ENEC, the high quality European Mark for electrical products is now more than 20 years old! It demonstrates compliance with European standards (ENs), mainly related to safety.
The ENEC mark is complementary to the mandatory CE marking on the electrical
products placed on the European market. Being granted by a 3rd party, independent
from the manufacturer or importer, the ENEC mark always signifies that the product is
safe in accordance with the appropriate European directive (for example: LVD, MD).
European Certification Bodies in the electrical sector have opened the ENEC European Safety Mark to all electrical product sectors. Tests are carried out in approved independent test laboratories (ENEC TLs) located worldwide or, under certain conditions, in approved manufacturers' laboratories.
About the CE marking: It is important to know that the CE marking does not indicate that products have been approved as safe by the European Union or by another authority. It represents a declaration from the manufacturer or importer that the product has been assessed and complies with the essential requirements of the relevant European Directives. (For more information, see the EC website, CE marking for consumers, at the following address http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/single-market-goods/cemarking/facts/facts-ce/index_en.htm)
About the Low Voltage Directive: If you have an electrical equipment designed for use within certain voltage limits, you have certainly heard of the LVD (Low Voltage Directive, 2006/95/EC). If you are looking for guidelines on the application of the LVD, the European Commission has published a very useful document.
It is available at the following location: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/electrical/files/lvdgen_en.pdf
How the ENEC Mark works
ENEC Mark Scheme procedures constitute a full certification scheme (ISO Type 5).
- Third party testing and certification
- Annual factory inspection
- Ongoing product and production monitoring
- Visible use of ENEC Mark logo on products
- Regular marketplace monitoring of theENEC Mark
ENEC test labs strict requirements include:
- New Testing Laboratory initial assessment criteria
- Stringent re-assessment programme of testing operations
- Regular testing expert meetings
- Comparative testing programmes
Why the ENEC Mark is important
The ENEC Mark Scheme has many benefits:
- One high quality mark recognised in Europe
- Demonstrates compliance with European safety standards
- Testing close to manufacturing locations
- European full certification scheme (ISO Type 5)
- Over 16,000 valid certificates covering more than 85,000 products
- Supports responsible application of CE marking
- Assists market surveillance authorities
The ENEC Mark Scheme meets the requirements of the New Legislative Framework (new Regulation 765/2008 and Decision 768/2008/EC) adopted by the European Parliament and Council.
The ENEC Mark is a powerful tool to ensure the safety of products entering the market. Compliance continues to be checked during the lifetime of the certification, with responsibility on the manufacturer and distributor in recording product technical data, sourcing, distribution and sales records.
The validity of the ENEC Mark Certification Scheme for all electrical products makes it a single independent high quality mark for Europe. The availability of the Scheme to manufacturers worldwide improves the safety of electrical products being placed on the European market.
The continuing development and wide use of the ENEC Mark Scheme since 1992 makes a significant contribution to the market, enhancing:
- Electrical product safety
- Market surveillance
- Effective handling of any product safety issues